Academy of Sciences photograph collection
This collection includes images of the Academy of the Visitation convent in Baltimore, the Clifton house, and the Elkridge Hunt Club that were gifted by the Maryland Academy of Sciences.
- circa 1900
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
The reproduction of materials in this collection may be subject to copyright restrictions. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine and satisfy copyright clearances or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections. For more information visit the MCHC’s Rights and Permissions page.
Biographical / Historical
The Academy of the Visitation convent was located for 90 years on Park Ave., Centre and Howard Sts., at the site that later held a Greyhound Bus terminal. Opened in 1839, the convent's school educated daughters of prominent Maryland families of many faiths, including Boone, Carroll, Shriver, Tyson, Tilghman, Key, Semmes, Gittings, Griffith, O'Donnell, Rasin and Passano. The complex was noted for its five-story sanctuary, its bell which had come from a Spanish Dominican monastery, and its rose garden. The convent moved to Roland Park in 1927.
The Elkridge Hunt Club was formed in Howard County in 1878, taking its name from Elkridge Landing. About ten years later, the club moved to a site on North Charles Street in Baltimore County. which was the former home of Governor Augustus Bradford. In 1895, the directors of the Elkridge Club were E.A. Jackson, Ross W. Whistler, D.B. Merryman, Alexander Brown, G.T. Hopkins, Jr., H.A. Parr, N. Winslow Williams, Samuel E. George, William M. Manly, William S.G. Williams, Thomas Deford, and Clinton P. Paine.
The estate known as Clifton was formerly the country home of Johns Hopkins, who bequeathed it as part of the Johns Hopkins University, although the school chose to establish the Homewood property as its campus. The Clifton house and property were sold to the city of Baltimore in 1894 at a cost of about $1000, becoming Clifton Park.
0.21 Linear Feet (1 half Hollinger box)
Language of Materials
The photoprints are arranged according to PP catalog number. Negatives are arranged according to negative catalog numbers.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of the Maryland Academy of Sciences, 1977.
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 1 box with 1 folder containing 20 photoprints which were made in the 1980s at the Maryland Historical Society from glass negatives thought to have been created circa 1900.
- Maryland Academy of Sciences (Organization)
- Guide to the Academy of Sciences photograph collection
- Under Revision
- Katherine Cowan
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- 2020-01-20: Manually entered into ArchivesSpace by Mallory Herberger.
Part of the H. Furlong Baldwin Library Repository
H. Furlong Baldwin Library
Maryland Center for History and Culture
610 Park Avenue
Baltimore MD 21201 United States