Anacreontic Society of Baltimore minute book
This collection contains the minute book for the Anacreontic Society of Baltimore, a men's musical club in the 19th century.
- Anacreontic Society of Baltimore (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
The reproduction of materials in this collection may be subject to copyright restrictions. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine and satisfy copyright clearances or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections. For more information visit the MCHC’s Rights and Permissions page.
Biographical / Historical
The Anacreontic Society of Baltimore, as recorded in this volume existed from 1820 until about 1827 (though the ending date is conjectural.).
The constitution of October 1823 (when the Society was recommenced) allowed fifty-five members, and the dues were $10 each. Since the members of the Society were private gentlemen of various professions and walks in life, many prominent Baltimoreans took part in the Society's activities.
The volume notes that there was an Anacreontic Society of Baltimore formed in 1820 under the presidency of Edward J. Coale, and that it was later reconstituted in October 23.
An advertisement of a meeting of the Anacreontic Society was announced in the Baltimore American of October 2, 1807, with the name of Secretary, John H. Hoskyns. In the Baltimore Directory of 1810 MR. Hoskyns has an address in Green Street.
There is no connection with the later societies as far as is known.
6.0 Linear Feet (6 boxes)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Mr. Edward G. Howard, January 1970.
Scope and Contents
The book, 7 ½ x 4 inches contains 85 pages of Minutes, 1823-1826, Constitution, Oct. 1823, list of members and honorary members attending nights, 1823/1824, statement of funds to April 1824. Entries are few after 1824.
There is also a brief history dated 13 March 1820 of the Anacreontic Society (called The Harmonists). The history contains a list of members (1820-1824) and a list of 68 glees and catches sung.
The Society was reorganized in 1821 and called the Anacreontick Society of Baltimore. Members for the first to the eighth seasons are given. The 6th season is dated 1824, suggesting an earlier existence of the Society.
- Guide to the Anacreontic Society of Baltimore minute book
- Under Revision
- P.W. Filby
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- 2019-12-04: Manually entered into ArchivesSpace by Mallory Herberger.