Brown photograph collection
This collection contains photographs probably made by a Mr. Brown of Baltimore, Maryland, depicting the Brown Machine Shop and Brown family, homes and neighborhoods. Other subjects include Baltimore harbor boats, fruit sellers, oyster schooners and other water craft, fire stations and policemen, childhood activities, horses and cars, bicycles, ping pong, phonographs, lacrosse, Bay Shore Park and Druid Hill Park, fishing, beach and snow scenes, domestic servants, Sunday School groups, girls' gym class, and the 1925 solar eclipse. Non-Maryland views include, Boston and Salem, Massachusetts, Norfolk, Virginia, Niagara Falls, New York, and the Meikle family and their property in Warren, Massachusetts.
- Baltimore Camera Club (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The nitrate negatives are restricted to the public. The remainer of the collection is open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
The reproduction of materials in this collection may be subject to copyright restrictions. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine and satisfy copyright clearances or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections. For more information visit the MCHC’s Rights and Permissions page.
Biographical / Historical
The collection originated with the Baltimore Camera Club. The photographs are probably the work of a Mr. Brown connected with the F.S. and G.L. Brown Machine Shop of Baltimore. The principals of this firm were Francis S. and George L. Brown, engineers and machinists, whose place of business was located at 20-26 E. Fort Avenue in 1900. At that time, the two lived in the same block of N. Arlington Ave., Francis at 1036 and George at 1030. The work of the firm included assisting inventors in working out ideas and building machines, including the television machine and the disc gramaphone. Francis S. Brown (ca. 1851-1934) married Martha Haen, and they later moved to 2917 Windsor Ave. A brother, Fred R. Brown was married to Margaret Brown; their son, F. Lorin Brown, born in 1893.
0.21 Linear Feet (1 half Hollinger box)
Language of Materials
The photoprints are arranged according to PP catalog number. Negatives are stored according to negative catalog numbers, which scheme incorporates the size and material of the negative. Nitrate negatives are stored in the nitrate storage area. Duplicate/copy negatives are stored in the Photographic Services department of the Maryland Historical Society.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Mrs. Ethan A. Andrews, 1970.
Existence and Location of Copies
Related negatives may be owned by the Pratt Library and Peale Museum.
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of ca. 1000 glass and film negatives made 1896-1925, with 91 modern prints made from vintage negatives in the 1980s at the Maryland Historical Society. Duplicate/copy negatives exist for the 91 printed negatives.
In addition to pictures of the Brown Machine Shop, the Brown family, homes and neighborhoods, subjects include Baltimore harbor boats, fruit sellers, oyster schooners and other water craft, fire stations and policemen, childhood activities, horses and carts, bicycles, sailboats, ping pong, phonographs, lacrosse, Bay Shore Park and Druid Hill Park, fishing, beach and snow scenes, domestic servants, Sunday School, girls gym class, and the 1925 solar eclipse.
- Guide to the Brown photograph collection
- Under Revision
- Katherine Cowan
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2020-01-15: Manually entered into ArchivesSpace by Mallory Herberger.