Skip to main content

Atkinson family photograph collection

Identifier: PP 0076


This collection contains photographs of the Atkinson family, friends and home in Garrison (Baltimore County, Maryland) and scenes of recreational activities in the Green Spring Valley.


  • 1868-1906

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research use.

Conditions Governing Use

The reproduction of materials in this collection may be subject to copyright restrictions. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine and satisfy copyright clearances or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections. For more information visit the MCHC’s Rights and Permissions page.

Biographical / Historical

The heads of the Atkinson family in circa 1900 were Matthew Smith Atkinson (died 1906) and his wife Eliza Waller Blow Atkinson (died 1931). Their children were Matthew Smith Atkinson, Jr. (1881-1948), Liza B. Atkinson (died 1974 at age 88), and Allmand Blow Atkinson. The Atkinson family home was in Garrison, a village in the Green Spring Valley of Baltimore County, less than two miles SE of Owings Mills. The elder Matthew Atkinson was the grandson of Matthew Smith, a prominent Baltimore merchant. Eliza Blow Atkinson was born in Norfolk, Virginia, the daughter of Judge George Blow and Elizabeth Taylor Allmand Blow.

Matthew Atkinson, Jr. was an insurance broker and an officer in the original Fifth Regiment of the Maryland National Guard. He was also a member of the Baltimore Club, the Maryland Historical Society, and Garrison Forest Protestant Episcopal Church. Liza Atkinson was a society editor for The Sun prior to 1931, and operated summer shops in Bar Harbor and Northeast Harbor, Maine selling antiques and imported finery; Allmand Atkinson had moved to Sacramento, California by 1931.

The Fifth Regiment of the Maryland National Guard had 485 members in circa 1898. Camp Wilmer, located near Pimlico (then Baltimore County), may have been an encampment site named for L. Allison Wilmer (died 1927) who was Adjutant-General of the Maryland Militia beginning in 1896.

The Green Spring Valley Hunt Club formed in 1892, with headquarters located first at the Cliffholme estate, then moved to Ten-Mile House on Reisterstown Road. In 1904, the club bought a tract of land on Green Spring Valley Road near Garrison, where a clubhouse and stables were built. Development of the region compelled the club to move; in 1925, the Philpot Estate in Western Run Valley was purchased to serve as clubhouse and hunting grounds, while the former facilities at Garrison were maintained for social functions and for tennis, swimming, and golf.


0.21 Linear Feet (1 half Hollinger box)

Language of Materials



The photographs are arranged according to PP catalog number. The collection was formerly known as GR53, so catalog item numbers as written on the photoprints (GR53.1, GR53.2, etc.) coincide with the descriptions for PP76.1, PP76.2, etc.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of Matthew S. Atkinson III, 1979.

Related Materials

MS 2473, Atkinson and Smith family papers, 1806-1943

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of one box with four folders, three of which contain 61 modern photoprints made from glass negatives circa 1897-1898, depicting the Atkinson family, friends, and home in Garrison (Baltimore County), as well as scenes of recreational activities in the Greenspring Valley, especially at the Green Spring Valley Hunt Club. Also depicted is a Maryland National Guard 5th Regiment encampment at Camp Wilmer, Pimlico (then Baltimore County). In addition, there is one folder of seven vintage photoprints (including cyanotypes) from September 1906 depiciting the Baltimore Jubilee Parade in the Mount Vernon neighborhood of Baltimore city, and one album from 1868 documenting a trip to Niagara Falls with ten photoprints and three printed cards.

Guide to the Atkinson family photograph collection
Under Revision
Katherine Cowan
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note

Revision Statements

  • 2020-01-24: Manually entered into ArchivesSpace by Mallory Herberger.

Repository Details

Part of the H. Furlong Baldwin Library Repository

H. Furlong Baldwin Library
Maryland Center for History and Culture
610 Park Avenue
Baltimore MD 21201 United States