Donald T. Tschudy collection of Keidel photographs
This collection contains a portrait of Henry Keidel, founder of a Baltimore-based hardware enterprise. Also included are views of Dickeyville, Baltimore.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
The reproduction of materials in this collection may be subject to copyright restrictions. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine and satisfy copyright clearances or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections. For more information visit the MCHC’s Rights and Permissions page.
Biographical / Historical
Henry Keidel (1840-1919) was born in Salzgitter, Hanover, Germany, the son of Dr. George Keidel (died 1875) , a government physician who was affiliated with the University of Goettingen. The family came to Baltimore in 1852. Henry Keidel attended private schools, and founded the Henry Keidel and Co. firm in the 1860s, a Baltimore hardware enterprise that operated until 1978. The business was located successively at 10 South Charles Street (circa 1870), then 407 West Redwood Street (in the Sagner Building), 31 South Calvert Street (circa 1929), 330 North Charles Street (circa 1970), and finally at 100 West Cold Spring Lane (1978). A Catonsville resident, Henry Keidel was married to Adela Lawrence Keidel, and was survived at the time of his death by two sons and two daughters.
Howard A. Tschudy (died 1981) was employed at the Henry Keidel and Co. firm starting in 1904, initially as a clerk. In 1965, he became the owner of the company. A Dickeyville resident, he lived at 2505 Pickwick Road. Howard Tschudy was a member of the Baltimore Hardware Club and the American Hardware Manufacturers Association.
0.11 Linear Feet (1 half Hollinger box)
Language of Materials
The photographs are arranged according to PP catalog number, and by subject.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Donald T. Tschudy, 1983.
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of one box with three folders containing five photoprints, which are views of Pickwick Road in Dickeyville, a portrait of Henry Keidel, and an image of razor straps.
The collection also contains one print, an etching of Forest Park Senior High School, circa 1930.
- Guide to the Donald T. Tschudy collection of Keidel photographs
- In Progress
- Katherine Cowan
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- 2020-01-26: Manually entered into ArchivesSpace by .
Part of the H. Furlong Baldwin Library Repository
H. Furlong Baldwin Library
Maryland Center for History and Culture
610 Park Avenue
Baltimore MD 21201 United States