Evergreen-Red Cross Institute for the Blind photograph collection
This collection consists of photographs of soldiers at the Red Cross Institute for the Blind learning various skills in the aftermath of World War I. Also included are images of administrators and visiting dignitaries such as Queen Elizabeth and Helen Keller.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to research use.
Conditions Governing Use
The reproduction of materials in this collection may be subject to copyright restrictions. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine and satisfy copyright clearances or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections. For more information visit the MCHC’s Rights and Permissions page.
Biographical / Historical
The Red Cross Institute for the Blind was organized in 1917 at the request of the Surgeon General of the Army to cooperate with General Hospital No. 7 and the Federal Board for Vocational Education. The Institute was founded by Col. Bordley, and was directed by Lawrence W. Wallace (born 1881) from 1919-1921. In 1922 the facility was was transferred from the Red Cross to the U.S. Veterans Bureau, and was then called Evergreen Vocational Training School.
In operation during and after World War I for the rehabilitation of soldiers, sailors, and marines who became vision-impaired during military service, the Institute was located on Cold Spring Lane between Charles Street and York Road in north Baltimore. Part of the facility had been the Kernwood estate owned the Wilson family in the 19th century, and another part was the house known as Evergreen Jr. and surrounding property, which Mrs. T. Harrison Garrett loaned to the government at this time. The Institute used existing estate houses and buildings, and constructed additional buildings for the school's activities, including classrooms, recreational facilities, and barracks.
At the Red Cross Institute for the Blind, men were trained in general and work skills adapted to their visual impairment: typewriting, braille reading, various work skills such as dictaphone, book binding, machining, vulcanizing, poultry and dairy farming, salesmanship, and massage. There were also recreational activities: music, dancing, basket-making, swimming, and bowling. The Institute received visits from dignitaries including Queen Elizabeth of Belgium and Helen Keller, as well as military figures General Pershing and Captain Delveaux, Director of the Belgian Institute for Blind Soldiers.
The school closed in around 1925, and the Evergreen property was returned to Mrs. Garrett's heir, John W. Garrett. Many of the Institute's buildings were razed, and others would be used by Loyola College, which began developing their campus in the early 1920s.
0.42 Linear Feet (1 full Hollinger box)
Language of Materials
The photographs are arranged according to PP catalog numbers.
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of one box with 14 folders containing 70 photoprints made circa 1918-1920. The photographs were made by the Hughes Company, and some of them were printed in the menu/program for a dinner honoring Sir Arthur Pearson on Jan. 16, 1919. All photos are mounted on cloth, with captions on the verso. However, as the photos were previously bound into a book, the caption for each image is attached to the leaf in front of it.
Photographs include soldiers at the Red Cross Institute for the Blind learning various skills: typewriting, braille reading, and work skills such as dictaphone, book binding, machining, vulcanizing, agriculture, salesmanship, and massage. There are also photographs of recreational activities: music, dancing, basket-making, swimming, bowling.
Many soldiers are depicted, but not identified, including African American soldiers. Administrators of the Institute are depicted, including founder Colonel Bordley and director Lawrence W. Wallace. Photographs of visiting dignitaries include Queen Elizabeth of Belgium, Helen Keller, General Pershing, and Captain Delveaux of the Belgian Institute for Blind Soldiers.
- Guide to the Evergreen-Red Cross Institute for the Blind photograph collection
- Under Revision
- Katherine Cowan
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- 02-04-2020: Manually entered into ArchivesSpace by Mallory Herberger.