Skip to main content

Hughes Studio photograph collection

 Collection
Identifier: PP 0030

Abstract

Photographs by the Hughes Company consist of an extensive professional documentation of many aspects of life in Baltimore city and County, St. Mary's County and Annapolis, Maryland, including street scenes, buildings, shipping, industry, businesses, recreational and sports facilities, public buildings, residences, churches, schools, monuments, and transportation. Other topics include advertising, display windows, posters, women, African Americans, slaves, railroads, buses, automobiles, ships, airplanes, aerial views, funerals, fires and firefighting, grocers, architectural elements, furniture, fashions, hospitals, and hotels. The dates of the collection span 1940-1956.

Please Note: The container list/inventory for this collection is available as a PDF below. Click "Expand All" and scroll down to the "External Documents" section to view.

Dates

  • 1940-1956

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open for research use.

Conditions Governing Use

The reproduction of materials in this collection may be subject to copyright restrictions. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine and satisfy copyright clearances or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections. For more information visit the MCHC’s Rights and Permissions page.

Biographical / Historical

The Hughes Company was a commercial photography studio in Baltimore, Maryland which made photographs for corporations, the government, and private individuals. The company was founded by James F. Hughes (died circa 1903), who was first listed as a photographer in the Baltimore directory in 1877. In 1889, Hughes advertised his services as a "practical photographer" in the Daily News and operated from quarters at 1414 Patterson Avenue. Many of the company's photographs were made with an 8 x 10 inch view camera.

James Hughes owned the company until the time of his death circa 1903, when company employee James W. Scott (1878-1953) bought the business from Hughes' widow. The business eventually passed to Scott's son, Gaither Scott. The Hughes Company existed until the late 1970s, when Gaither Scott retired. The company operated at numerous addresses over the years, including 1106 Riggs Avenue (mid 1890s-1902), 17-19 East Baltimore Street (circa 1904, hence all negatives prior to that date were destroyed in the Baltimore Fire), 108 North Liberty Street (1906-1907), 205 West Fayette Street (1908-1929), 213 West Monument Street (1930-1963), and 115 East 25th Street (after 1963).

Extent

0 Linear Feet (Pending )

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

The photos are arranged in their original order as created by the photographers. For the most part this is a chronological order. The boxes are cataloged to the folder level. For the most part, each folder relates to a single job contracted to the Hughes Company. Each folder houses between one and twenty negatives. During the re-housing process some folders were divided into two folders due to the large number of negatives.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of Gaither Scott, 1981.

Related Materials

PP8, Hughes collection, 1910-1946

Scope and Contents

Note: There are two sections of the Hughes Collection. The first section, known as PP8, covers dates circa 1910-1946. This portion of the collection consists of vintage glass plate negatives for which modern prints were made during the 1980s at the Maryland Historical Society, with some vintage prints and film negatives. The second section of the Hughes Collection, called the Hughes Studio Photograph Collection, is known as PP30, and covers dates circa 1940-1956.

The Hughes Studio Photograph Collection (PP30) consists of 61 boxes containing approximately 36,000 negatives, with dates spanning 1940 to 1956. The majority of these photos are black and white negatives.

Large portions of the photographs were taken in the Baltimore area, however locations span the state and include Delaware and Washington, D.C. The collection provides an extensive professional documentation of many aspects of life in Baltimore city and county, St. Mary's County and Annapolis, including street scenes, buildings, shipping, industry, businesses, recreational and sports facilities, public buildings, residences, churches, schools, monuments, and transportation.

The subject matter varies widely with buildings, war rallies, machinery, employee identification photos, weddings and other special events making up a large portion of the collection.

Other topics identified include: advertising, display windows, posters, women’s history, African American history, slavery, railroads, buses, automobiles, ships, airplanes, aerial views, funerals, fires and firefighting, grocers, architectural elements, furniture, fashions, hospitals, hotels, American Indian history.

Also copy negatives of many historical prints, paintings, and documents. Photographs of paintings, portraits, and print making; stained glass.

Creator

Title
Guide to the Hughes Studio photograph collection
Status
In Progress
Author
Sarah Schmidt and LuAnn Sleeper
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Revision Statements

  • 2020-03-17: Manually entered into ArchivesSpace by Mallory Herberger.

Repository Details

Part of the H. Furlong Baldwin Library Repository

Contact:
H. Furlong Baldwin Library
Special Collections
610 Park Avenue
Baltimore MD 21201 United States
4106853750